Tweeter: jonizzle

JONIZZLE

Wednesday, July 14, 2004 by Jon

"i am the only one to blame for this"

ouch. but a good ouch.

Anyways. Spiderman is pretty darn on target with its message.

"With great power comes great responsibility"

In whatever we do we probably influence someone, somewhere. And if you are a Counselor or Advisor or ILT or Coordinator or a Program Director at TAF, you will influence someone. You have the power. Therefore, you have the responsibility.

A lot of people talk about "hanky panky." We dont want shady things to happen? Then we don't do anything shady ourselves. We dont even joke of anything shady. We don't (or at least cut down) talk about crushes. I joked about it, I gossiped. But it'll stop for me at TAF. I let it become something bigger than it should be. "Who's your TAF crush??" is not a theme, on par with "Leadership", "Identity", "Communication", or "Ethics & Values". We want campers to stay awake and attentive so they can get something out of the week, the experience that is TAF? Then we do the same, WE SET THE EXAMPLE. I hope you're all ready for that, because that is your responsibility.

You're a role model. Maybe you didn't sign up for that, but you are. And I hope you realize that and do something about it. Don't be like Britney Spears (who you all know I love) and think you're not partly responsible for those younger than you.

And this still applies to campers. You may not be on staff, but you certainly still make an influence on others. You're the next leader, the next advisor, the next Program Director. Your actions can lead to the actions of another.

And yes, we do all make mistakes, and we should all be forgiven for them. Every year, everyone should be given a clean slate.

But please, don't let this get you down. If it does, maybe you should forget what I've said, because TAF is something to celebrate. Don't let me be one to take the joy away from you. I'll be in North Manchester, Indiana in 17 days with a big smile on my face, my heart filled with joy, and my mind wondering how I am so lucky to be here, with all of you.

I hope that's how you'll all feel too. Lucky.



Filed under having  

0 comments: