Tweeter: jonizzle

JONIZZLE

Tuesday, December 21, 2004 by Jon

I bought a lot of books today for 40% off. My local B. Dalton bookstore is closing. Sad for them, but yay for my mind. My purchases reminded me of a quote a good friend of mine liked to say,

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

I bought two books by C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity being one of them, and then, ahem, Stephen Hawking's Brief History of Time (yea, we'll see if I can comprehend that...) and a history book entitled Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, which is quite interesting so far. It won a Pulitzer, so I figured it deserved a shot. My head is about to get pounded with religion and science, but that should be interesting and stimulating, I hope. And I already read it, but I also got the 5th Harry Potter book in paperback to add to my collection :)

This recent splurge in the written word is a change for me. I dare say I'm excited to be a little bit more scholarly with the history books (teaching myself as opposed to being taught from a set curriculum), and hopefully more enlightened by the philosophies of Thoreau (Walden Pond) and the stories from Kerouac (On the Road). And aside from my already read Harry Potter book and OTR, I've only purchased one other fiction novel of the eight books (yea, eight...) I've bought in the last week, Don Quioxte. Did you know the adjective "quixotic", meaning "idealistic" (and "impractical"), is derived from the protagonist's name? Hmm...idealistic. Don Quioxte. Or JON QUIOXTE?!?!?! Indeed.

I must admit, a little of me likes to buy books because it makes me look smarter. They look good on the ole' bookshelf ya know? But don't think of me as smart. I can't remember if it was Socrates or Plato, but he said he was the most unwise of all. To cut it short, we could all be so much wiser, and there is so much more to learn. Ah yes, tis the thirst for truth and knowledge! But yea, don't think I'm cool or anything because I read. At least don't let me think that.

Got horseshoes at Darcy's tonight with Brian and Erika. Ran into Jill Nash and her parents. Great family. Jill is getting married, to not my roommate but a different Tyler, this August. Another wedding for me to attend this summer. That makes THREE weddings, and I can call all three of the brides and all three of the grooms friends, some being good ones at that. THREE groups of friends, my age, binding together in marriage forever in a few months. I don't know what to say to that.

1) I am old?
2) They are young?
3) I need a girlfriend.

I took a picture of the horseshoe tonight for those of you who wonder what it is:



Underneath all that cheese and fries is a hamburger patty and Texas toast. Delicious.

Went to see Spanglish afterwards. Refreshing and entertaining. Adam Sandler's daughter is a good young female actor, and Tea Leoni is scary. And Paz Vega is pretty. Be Happy.

Filed under having  

0 comments: